Links of Interest
Superior was named after the
Superior's history is one of coal mining. The first mines in the area were developed in the late 1800's. The Town itself was founded in 1896 and incorporated in 1904. The Town reportedly was named after the "superior" quality of coal found in the area.
Mining was the major force in Superior's history until the Industrial Mine closed in 1945. Subsequently, many people moved out of the area and the Town evolved into a quiet ranching and farming community. The Town's population hovered around 250 until recently. For a good review of Superior's history, look at, "Lost Superior: Remembering the Architectural Heritage of a Colorado Coal Mining Town" by the Superior Historical Commission. Copies of the book are available at Town Hall.
The Town's largest residential development is known as Rock Creek Ranch. Although the land was subdivided in 1987, development continues today. Through 2006, approximately 2700 single-family homes and 1800 multi-family homes have been developed in Rock Creek swelling Superior's population to approximately 12,000.
Future development plans of the Town include commercial development, retail development, multi-family residential units, and single family homes. The Town is approximately four square miles in area has 594 acres of parks, green space, and open space and 27 miles of trails.